forum.nationalwellsindex.org.uk

Holy Well and Water Veneration discussion board run by The National Wells Index, part of Hereditarius.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Holy Well in Holy Well Bay
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:19 am 
Site Admin

a long story about surveying this site, and not the easiest site to find unless as happened to me some kind soul has drawn a large pagan symbol in the sand outside the entrance, but this Well is absolutely unique, a natural cave with rocks stained different colours from the falling water, with a bipartite chamber. I only mention it as i happened to find a picture of the wells upper chamber on the web http://www.btinternet.com/~aardvark.nest/cuthbert.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

One feels I should have explained this site a little bit more. As you face the cave you notice a slightly slanted entrance with either a) a lot of room to enter or b) a lot of sand and not much room. If you look closely at the rock to the left of the entrance there is a carved staircase running up the rock then cave wall, climbing upwards to the left, with many 'steps' actually turning in rock pools often, incorrectly assumed to be the well chamber. The actual well chamber is at the top of these stairs and extends behind a rock sheet at the top of a multi coloured 'flow stone' of chemical stained rock. On the right the cave descends to the floor. Now originally there was a means to slide from the upper chamber to the back of the lower chamber, which I did not find. So if anyone has seen this cave with a bit less sand in it, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

An image of the front of this Well can be found in the NWI postcard collection, which has been photogrpahed and included in the NWI ARC site which can be found at http://archive.nationalwellsindex.org.uk