forum.nationalwellsindex.org.uk

Holy Well and Water Veneration discussion board run by The National Wells Index, part of Hereditarius.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Egg Well, Staffs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:06 am 
Researcher

Got to visit the Egg Well at Bradnop yesterday. For years this has tickled my fancy on the map, and it was good to scratch.

I have a clip on YouTube here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOORKDnhqeM

(still getting to grips with using video on this camera)

and some pictures on The Portal here:
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=8320

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Great footage. Roman Well, hmmm.... The Egg well is not unusual name wise as there are a number of sulpher wells that have earned similar names for the Well. however, this is an amazing multi period structure. okay I hold my hands up and say no idea about the history of this well, but that said, I love the latin inscription. What was that there for? Was this the evidence for the Roman link?

Postscript: Okay looked at the pictures now. See where the trans comes from. Helio, have a look at this script. Absolutely not Roman if that was the inference, but I would imagine, the hand of an antiquary has been about this well.

That said, this is my reading of the site from the pics:

there is a modern well structure, the brick courses of which look no early than a century or two. The stone slabbed floor on which the inscription is inscribed is as with all such floors are not easy to date but probably is not of any great antiquity. What is very interesting is the wholly atypical in my experience 'steps' with neatly dressed stone courses running between them. This does look to my mind to be genuinely interesting and although I am not precluding the possibility of a modern date, does appear to be rather of some greater antiquity, though I cannot attribute a date to it. Conversely the correlation between this tier of stonework and the above slabbed floor does perhaps suggest these were from the same period, although the destruction of a prior structure of which these were the basis, when an upper floor was added cannot be ruled out. What makes this all a bit bizarre is that in the middle of the chamber floor is a wholly modern well with as often happens a stone slabbed top cut through and shaped to enter the chamber. Interesting stuff J3D. I would like to see some more pics of this site if you have any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:21 pm 
Researcher

Rik

also note the 3 courses of red bricks within the centre of the well, below water's surface

on this pic

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/modules.php ... &pid=31781

I'll e-mail you a selection of smaller images for you to request larger ones,

Many will be similar,

cheers

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:55 pm 
Researcher

I am quite sure it's oval (egg) shaped, as opposed to circular.

postscript: Sorry J3D, I accidently edited this by mistake and lost the key info when I meant to post a new message. damm long day. I think the key point was that the Well was Ovoid and not round as I had suggested see my reply below. Again sorry J3D and please correct this message if you can remember what you said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Good catch, had not noticed that at all. Yup, that is strange. I know of a lot of circular chambers with bipartite stones forming the upper chamber, but ovoid is a new one to me.

Look foward to the pics :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah it was with ref to the stone bricks in the chamber that I suggested this was a modern addition. It is quite often the case there is a nice stone lip over a rather functional brick chamber. dont know why but I suspect aesthetics plays a role. It is though possible this was placed through an earlier structure. let us suppose the chamber above was for bathing, then it would make no sense to have a deep pool of water which at points falls at least another six feet down in the middle of it, when it would already be deep enough to bathe. So then is this indicative of multi use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Now I have just seen a Bath in a Turkish bath with exactly this same step array as this well, so the mystery deepens, as to why there is a well in a bathing chamber?