forum.nationalwellsindex.org.uk

Holy Well and Water Veneration discussion board run by The National Wells Index, part of Hereditarius.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BL
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:43 am 
Site Admin

So I went to the BL today for the first time after the proposed budget cuts and noticed the following. Everyone taking a bag into the BL is now searched. Many doors to the exhibition galleries are now closed and access to the publicly funded free galleries is now by ticket only. I find myself forced to ask if the BL are to respond to funding cuts, thank you for nothing by the way 2012, by employing more staff so that they can offer a worse service? I hope not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:07 am 

I had my bag searched last time I was up there, which must be a couple of years ago now, although I can't remember about access to the galleries - I rarely have time even to do what I've come up for. But I don't think the added security has much to do with 2012.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Yeah its not the bag searching in the reading rooms that I mean, if thats what you meant? They now have two long tables set up at the main entrance doors and you cant use any other entrance. Basically they stop you and rifle through your bags before you enter the BL. Could vaguely understand if they did it when you leave considering the thefts from the Rare books archive that occured a while ago. This is the first time I have seen this and I go to the BL every few days generally. All very strange.

By criticising 2012 I meant the huge and growing amount of money the Olympics are taking away from heritage projects such as the BL. So many good heritage projects are now either ceaseing to grow or just ceasing. I suppose it depends where you stand, but as an archaeologist I think the price is too high. But each to their own :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:21 am 

No, I had my bag searched on entry last time. I didn't really think anything of it because after the WTC attack I've been searched so often that it wasn't anything strange (I used to work in Victoria and was once stopped in the street by the polis and had my bag searched before they'd let me walk past the Houses of Parliament to Waterloo to go home).

I'm ambivalent about the Olympics. I suspect that if I lived there I'd be all for having the money spent in my area, but I agree that it's siphoning money like there's no tomorrow. Only time will tell, I suspect. I've seen plenty of completely abandoned former sites built for athletics or for exhibitions, but then again I've seen plenty that have been retained and provide a real focus for the area. Do I trust the various governments and councils to get it right?

Yeah, well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah I suppose your right but really the BL has to get its priorities right. I was stopped by 5 people on the door today for taking a computer bag into the BL which and lets be honest is not unusual as, for example, 5 people before just strolled on in with such cases. Yet, the 1 person on the issuing desk could not find any of the books I had ordered thus wasting my entire day. On this evidence if they just closed the BL it would actually offer the same level of service as it did today without the hassle.