forum.nationalwellsindex.org.uk

Holy Well and Water Veneration discussion board run by The National Wells Index, part of Hereditarius.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stonehenge Excavation
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Unbelievable, Stonehenge excavation again. What we only had one but 40 years ago. Anyway, it will provide some interesting and badly needed dating info, but why it is a BBC funded dig is beyond me. Is this really what archaeology has been reduced to. That said some of the names involved are amazing. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7322134.stm Nice animation btw Beeb.

Post subject: Re: Stonehenge Excavation
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:40 pm 
NWI Officer

rik_na1 wrote:
why it is a BBC funded dig is beyond me. Is this really what archaeology has been reduced to. That said some of the names involved are amazing.

Well, I have been enjoying looking at this and reading of the finds and progress made in just a couple of days. I would guess that this is now inescapably part of the future of Archaeology - the BBC and Ch4 (Time Team) can afford the big guns and all the science as they have the kind of money that Universities and County Arch units can only dream of. And with experts and first class methodology on tap, there is the possibility of high-integrity work and very meaningful interpretation. That is why I am relieved to see the experienced academics on this project. The danger of course is that - as all too often happens with TV archaeology - that the demand for headlines and sexy results leads to poor interpretation and explanation to the public that is sorely lacking. I hope that is just in the presentation and is all down to the media, but I guess that such pressure for glorious and dramatic discoveries is also placed on the archaeologists themselves, and the other experts involved - and I guess that the TV money is only there IF there are sexy finds and radical theories.

On the other hand, maybe decades of TV archaeology have made the viewing public a bit more mature about all these things now, and maybe most people now understand that the best and most valuable parts of archaeology are not the Indiana Jones stuff. And maybe, just maybe, the TV co execs have just picked up on this greater public savviness. I hope so, but do have my doubts ...

Of course, the Universities should have the money for first class research, but as someone who both works and studies at one, I can tell you that sadly the money is going on a whole lot of other things ...

Post subject: Re: Stonehenge Excavation
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Heliodorus wrote:
Of course, the Universities should have the money for first class research, but as someone who both works and studies at one, I can tell you that sadly the money is going on a whole lot of other things ...

Yes or the AU's who should really be doing this sorta work albeit it with some Uni input.