forum.nationalwellsindex.org.uk

Holy Well and Water Veneration discussion board run by The National Wells Index, part of Hereditarius.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cerne Abbas v Homer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

it is sorta related to a Well, however, it is more important in its own right. The debate surrounding the publicity stunt for the new Simpsons movie at Cerne Abbas http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20070717/t ... 4616c.html At a loss what to say really.

Post subject: Cerne Abbas Homer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:49 pm 
NWI Officer

This is a very transient thing indeed and I think that the Pagan Federation could probably find some more important issues to get wound up about - such as the many sites which their members use for worship that are threatened with destruction. The Cerne Abbas giant will still be there and available to pagans and childless couples long after Homer has been washed away.

What is most interesting about the CA giant of course is how this site of uncertain and probably secular usage - probably the figure of Oliver Cromwell as Hercules cut to mock the Lord Protector in the C17th has become a sacred/ritual site since that time - with Maypole dancing and more recently neo-paganism - where fertility rites are practiced simply because the phallus (probably added later) makes it appropriate.

Now the CA giant is the site of some genuine worship, but like many so called traditions this seems to be a very recent development indeed. The Maypole dancing was probably started in response to Cromwell's abolition of such practices by the tenants and staff of Denzil Holles, on whose estate they carved the figure, according to the eighteenth century antiquarian John Hutchins. Holles was a moderate parliamentarian who became an adversary of Cromwell and eventually fled to France after Pride's Purge, the military coup of 1648.

In short, as the original intention of carving the figure seems beyond reasonable doubt to have been the parody, satire, mockery, and provocation of entrenched and despised powers that be, Homer Simpson makes a very fitting short-term neighbour to this fascinating figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:38 pm 
Researcher

You might also want to take a look at this

http://theburningtimes.net/?p=117

and this

http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/4678 ... rChalk.gif
(keep watching)

It's seems to me that Homer is waving an enormous vulva symbol at the
erect phallus... Perhaps there's more Freudian and spiritual subleties
to this than the advertisers had reckoned?

Blessings

Tim.

Post subject: Cerne Abbas giant vs Homer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:26 am 
NWI Officer

Tim
Great links, very funny - love the 'Burning Times' one especially.

Yes, and it could well be that there is more to do with fertility rites and the coming together of the male and female principles there than the Pagan Fed are giving them credit for. The way you put it makes in sound exactly like their kind of thing.

Actually, this will heighten interest in the CA giant and promote awareness of similar monuments - and all their associated traditions - whether pagan, secular, or Christian. This could work to the good of paganism, archaeology and landscape history alike.

Besides, the Pagan Fed is meant to be a broad church (one not made with hands, of course) and so they should surely welcome Homer and his donut into their pantheon - surely members of the consumer-cult and the Simpsons-cult should be able to effectively designate this a sacred site if they so choose? Why should one set of man-shaped white lines on a hill be wished into oblivion by those people who have designated a similar nearby figure a holy place? In a way, Simpsons fans are just as religious - devotees of a set of ideas, ways of acting, ethics, and the figures who represent them - and so just as entitled to their own hill figures.

I stick with my first point on the CA-Homer issue from earlier today: - there is far more widely beneficial work than this for the Pagan Fed - on protecting sites, and on promoting interfaith tolerance and religious diversity/plurality, and on encouraging people to take up religious beliefs that promote peace, environmentalism, free-thinking, and sustainable living to name just a few examples. They are uniquely placed to do all these jobs, ones that might significantly help our descendants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

An interesting aside to all this came up on Britarch today which was that that the Cerne Abbas Giant, and indeed other comparable figures, were covered over during the war so they could not be used as navigational aids. I seem to remeber the Giants phallus dissapearing at points along with a rib or two. I guess you could argue changes in how they are amended reflects their changing cultural meaning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

Also whatever happened to the large Gog and Magog hill figures? All gone to my knowledge. What we need is a bring back the Gog and Magog hill figures campaign. I'd sign up.

Post subject: what are the Gog and MAgog figures?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:31 am 

Where are/were they located? I don't think I've ever heard of them before. Everytime I think I've heard of all the chalk figures, another one pops up somewhere. Like this Homer character :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

LOL yes indeed new figures all the time

As for the Gog and Magog figures now this is a long story but basically I have seen an old photographic pcard of two figures purporting to be from the Gog and Magog hills, hence the association of these figures with Gog and Magog. The image looks rather like a nest of owls. however, we remember that Thomas Lethbridge claimed, but to my knowledge never proved, that he found through dowsing figures of a sun-god, a moon-goddess etc near Wandlebury in the Gog and Magog hills but I cant seem to prove any association between this claim and the image. So I guess this is a long winded way of me saying I dont know where the figures are but they are supposed to be in the Gog and Magog hills which to my knowledge are in Cambs.

Post subject: ??? Gog and Magog Hills ???
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:31 pm 

Hills in Cambridgeshire ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

LOL no really near the city, I mean thats it for the county, but they definitely have those two hills.

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=15188