forum.nationalwellsindex.org.uk

Holy Well and Water Veneration discussion board run by The National Wells Index, part of Hereditarius.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings to all from Heliodorus, the NWI Archival Officer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:59 pm 
NWI Officer

Hi to everyone on the Forum.

I thought that I'd finally better get round to introducing myself to everyone on the NWI forum.

As well as being the newly appointed NWI archivist, I am also a moderator of this forum, and will help Rik to keep an eye on them and contribute wherever possible.

In my role as Archival Officer, I am currently working on the NWI Bibliography, which will eventually result in a catalogue of all the images, articles and books, ephemera, video footage, sound recordings, and other information that we currently hold. I am also working my way through the links in our bibliography in order to either print or acquire hard copy of manuscripts and published material. Those of you with site notes and photos to submit can do so using the relevant forms on this forum, while anyone with short videos of less than one minute should contact me directly so that we can ensure that you meet the format requirements. Eventually, you'll be able to do all of these things and more on the Archivist's page of the NWI website. Anyone who wishes to submit hard copy of images or literature should also contact me directly.

My interest in Landscape History, ritual landscapes, prehistory, wells and springs, folklore, customs, vernacular religion, and popular mysticism is approximately thirty years old, going back to sites visited in Wales, Cornwall, and south-west England when I was a small child, and took me to numerous sites such as the Mynydd Preseli, Men-an-Tol, and St David's cathedral, along with any wells, castles, interesting churches, dolmens, chambered tombs, and other sites encountered en route. I also read books by Geoffrey Ashe, Marion Bradley, Gillian Bradshaw, and W.Y. Evans-Wentz, which made a significant impression on me.

I can trace my interest in all things related to watery places
from visiting various dried up reservoirs with my parents, as a five year old, in the drought of 1976, to see the remains of submerged villages make an eerie reappearance.

As a teenager I got some excavation experience on sites in Milton Keynes and the surrounding area, and eventually ended up getting a decent degree in History with Archaeology at the University of Wales, Bangor.

I've also been fascinated and troubled for a long time by the New Age and Neopagan movements and their relationships with history, mythology, folklore, and the present and past ritual and secular landscapes of Britain. I also have a particular interest in Fairy beliefs and the association of wells and springs with manifestation of such entities.

At present I work part-time in various roles at the Library at the University of Kent at Canterbury and am a research postgraduate at that University, working on medieval political poetry. I am also a graphic designer for the charity Seeds for Africa and work in a number of capacities for the environmental artist Shaukat Khan.

Currently, with direct regard to NWI business, I am most interested in the recording of Holy Well and Sacred Spring sites for the future, as so many of them are under threat, both from development and from the disappearance of many as they dry up in our changing climate - as in the case of my much beloved and oft-visited near neighbour the Black Prince's Well at Harbledown (TR129582). I am also concerned that sites should be recorded in as much detail, and with as much accuracy as possible, to high academic standards as far as possible. I am also interested in how understanding of the history, mythology and folklore of wells and springs changes over time, both among those who live with them, among those who visit them for pleasure, and among those who study them.

For this reason I am delighted to join the NWI as their Archival Officer and look forward to working with you all to make sure that as many Holy Wells as possible, and other sites, are at least preserved for the future as records, if, sadly, not in their physical form as valued sites.

I can be contacted here, of course, through PM, and also by email and Windows Live Messenger, formerly MSN. I also have a blog, http://nwiarchive.blogspot.com/, on which I will post purely observations on my work for the NWI and my own reflections and notes on sites of interest. For those of you on Facebook (real name below - once only on here), please do add me as a friend and look out for the forthcoming NWI-related group.

First and foremost, however, we should communicate on this forum - my manifestations elsewhere on the web are simply designed to propagate interest and channel people in this direction.

My warmest good wishes to all of you, :) :) :)
Heliodorus

AKA: Graham Mallaghan
NWI Archival Officer

Research Postgraduate,
School of English,
University of Kent at Canterbury.

Library Assistant,
Templeman Library,
University of Kent at Canterbury.